Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mostly done

Got most of the frame up for the solar room today. Hard part was anchoring the top section into the cinder block wall, especially over the crawlspace opening. Since I previously removed the rotted out roof from the enclosure, I had few places to stand and was rather anxious about falling. Never slipped, though. The only things left are some stabilizing pieces and the door, then I can put the cover in place.


The measurements when finished will be 8 ft tall at the highest point, 8 ft out from the wall and about 14 feet across. It will enclose two windows, one crawlspace vent, the crawlspace entry, the washing machine and water hoses. I'll still have a few square feet of open space and will probably put some plants out there right below the kitchen window.


Got around to measuring the back yard today. I was wrong about the measurements. The actual size is 60 ft wide by 100 ft long, back wall of the house to back fence. So, if I build out the greenhouse 50 ft from the house, I'll still have a decent open yard beyond that. I haven't worked out final dimensions but right now thinking a good size would be 40 ft wide by 50 ft long. That would leave space along the south for deciduous trees and, as mentioned, still have a back yard. Though I am still considering extending the length to 60 ft. Not sure yet.

Be a lot of work to build something that size. But I can think of worse ways to spend my time.  

Almost forgot! I was wrong about the plants in the raised bed being lost! Most of the lettuce is still growing, with new plants coming up. Spinach is becoming recognizable as spinach (to us novices who have only seen full grown spinach in stores). Even a few pepper plants are beginning to show through the soil. Not sure how much garlic I may have grow, since I'm not certain how much of it the dog ate. Guess I'll wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment