Saturday, December 19, 2009

Home from hospital

My daughter is home from the hospital. Doing well, seems to have pretty much gotten through the whole thing without major residual problems. Back to her old self again. More than a little happy about that!

Have a break in the weather here. Very strange, seeing what the East coast is going through. 

Got some wood to complete the solar room in back of the house. Hoping to finish it this week, before the next cold wave comes in. May need one more roll of plastic. 

I put up an ad to trade wood from one tree for someone cutting it down, which will give me more space to extend the solar room at some point and include nearly the length of the house. Also give more sun exposure. Besides, it's too close to the house and I'm afraid of what it can do to the foundation. Think I'm going to be using other forms of heat and avoid the fireplace while my daughter is around, any way. Too much risk of the fireplace causing my daughter more breathing problems. So the wood can be spared.

The more I've examined it, the wiser I've found the idea of the solar room to be. Most of the back wall of the house is cinder block, uninsulated. Just blocking the wind from that side of the house will be a big benefit during the winter.

I've come up with some early designs for the greenhouse/patio which I am beginning to like. Think I'm going to hook up the graphics tablet and start doing some of the design on computer, rather than the legal pad I've been using. Once I do that, I'll post some of the design sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment