Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Near completion

Got the supporting pieces in place yesterday. I have a couple of corrections to make, then I can put the covering on the solar room. Even have the door built but not mounted. (Do that after the rest is covered.) Just haven't had enough time. 

Not going to get it done today. I was exhausted when I got home this morning and have to work tonight. No complaints, need the money badly. Depending on my schedule, I should be able to finish it in the next 3-4 days. Sucks that it really takes so little man hours but arranging those man hours can be such a problem. 


The whole thing is very sturdy and should hold up to some rather strong winds. I'll still have to build up and level out the soil in some places around the base once it's done. A layer of soil around the bottom will also help windproof the whole thing, though.


I have a neighbor who has a chain and pole saw. He offered to help take down the cottonwood near the house. Though if I get to work tonight and tomorrow, I may just see about buying my own inexpensive one. Home Depot has an electric one for $50 and seems rated well. Good enough for my needs, long as I take things down in small pieces. (Which I would do for ease of handling and later use, anyway.) This is where that outlet strangely high on my back wall will come in handy. Still not getting why anyone put an outlet 7-8 ft above the ground, though.

If I get good enough results from the solar room as built, I may go ahead and extend it across the rest of the back wall, where the tree now resides. If I don't do that, it does give me a better idea of the future results of building the patio in that spot.

I need to get a large mortar chisel and start taking down the walls I mentioned before. Also need a new wheel for the wheelbarrow, to make moving the brick pile out of the way for greenhouse construction. Not done with the plans yet but I do know the wall will start next to the house. Taking out the cottonwood stump will be a great beginning to pour a foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment