Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Destroyed

The wind here has been fierce. If this was by the ocean, it would have been considered gale force or tropical storm wind speed. Looked outside this morning and the greenhouse was mostly on the ground. Went out to assess the damage and it was extensive. Pipes cracked and broken, sheeting torn, clamps ripped out, screws and all in some cases.

So, in this incarnation, the greenhouse is no more. When the wind dies down I'll start taking it apart, salvage what I can and construct one or two smaller structures, like a smaller greenhouse and/or cold row covers.

I'm guessing my compost heating experiment is not to be this winter.

After some thought, I decided that several different projects will be combined. Since before moving in, I've wanted to build a covered patio. Then there's the greenhouse. And then there's the solar heating project. Each one should preferably have some of the same elements, such as solar heat in the winter and adjustable shading in the winter. If I attach this to the house, it will help insulate and heat the house in the winter and cool it in the summer. Before completing it, I'll have a well drilled.

Of course, this will be much more solid than any of the temporary experimental constructs I have been working on. The crawlspace enclosure has a cinder block wall around it, plus I have a cinder block wall on the South side of the house, between the neighbors' fence and my own. Then there is a heavily leaning cinder block wall in the front of the house. I'll take each of these down to use for pillars, then fill with cement, stucco and paint them. Plastic sheeting will work at first, then replace with windows over time, starting on the South side, then the West side. I'll make the whole thing a mixture of old Spanish garden mixed with modern solar elements. Of course, I'll include rain harvesting in the design.

Some added features will be incorporating the storage shed and firewood storage. I'll include the waterfall, stream, pond and fireplace/BBQ I had planned for the patio. The compost pit will still be located somewhere inside, for CO2 and winter compost production. (With the solar heating design, the compost heating becomes fairly moot.) I had intended to move the swamp cooler to ground level and run insulated ducts to the roof entry, so this could be included in that plan.

The good part is that I believe this will not require city inspection, since it will be considered a covered patio/greenhouse/storage structure, not living space, even though it will be attached to the house. It may be eligible for solar/insulation tax credits but even if not, it should reduce my energy bills to near nothing. I'll also include solar water heating and later PV panels, which could eliminate my utility bills entirely (and maybe earn some money, as well). I'm not planning on having any municipal plumbing, gas or electric extended from the house, unless it's having an extra outlet or two installed on the outer wall of the house itself, keeping the chances of required inspection low.

None of this will even be started until springtime. Until then, I'll work on some cold row covers and the solar room on the back of the house. I may go ahead and take down part of the crawlspace wall, which is somewhat complicating the solar room plans. Can just lay the blocks aside for now.

I am rather sad at the falling of the greenhouse but have learned enough to gain confidence in a more permanent structure, even though this one never got completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment