Wednesday, December 23, 2009

First computer sketch

So, here is my first greenhouse sketch on computer. I had forgotten how different drawing on computer is, so this looks really messy. 

This design is highly preliminary and only one view. Lots of things are still in the air but this does incorporate some aspects which will remain. 

I still have to measure things out to get solid proportions. I think my back yard is 60' long. If I make the greenhouse 40' long, that will give me a 10' patio for nearly the width of the house. The rest of the length will all be garden. The storage and work space are along the North wall and will remain there, leaving the South open to the sun. I'm keeping a space outside the greenhouse on the South to plant deciduous trees. The fireplace placement is very much in question, as I think a center location may be much better. Of course, it will double as a BBQ pit. 

The walls and support columns will be stuccoed cinder block. 

Big debate for me is roof slope. Center or North end highest? I need to study wind patterns, so as to maximize summer ventilation. The highest section will need to be slightly higher than the house so heat will exhaust upward and away from the house. 

Not shown here is that the lower section of the South wall will have either hay bale construction which can double as seating, wooden boxes for storage which can also be bench seats or a combination of each. Hay bale would offer more insulation but I think wooden boxes would be more stable and would offer more storage. 

So, this design will be revised and refined over time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment