Monday, April 19, 2010

11 gone

The dog's tie-out line is in reach of the two new raised mounds. She had been behaving and I had pointed out the two mounds after planting and told her "no" twice. Wasn't enough. Last night, she dug up 11 of the 14 tomato plants there. Three remain, though they were damaged, too. Most had been started as far back as January and I had nursed them along until this point.

I planted more tomato plants out but most are much younger. I'll have to start more seeds this week if I'm going to have a really decent tomato crop this summer. Had to replant the pepper seeds, also. Still need to replant the catnip and parsley, because she even dug out the cinder block holes.

The dog is not a bad dog but she has to go. I'm tired of doing battle with dogs, especially when my daughter rarely plays with the dog. I play with the dog to keep it entertained and happy and my daughter sometimes seems to feel like the dog is competing for my attention. Better to find a good home for the dog than to continue this way. I really cannot stand spending months of effort, just to have it destroyed by a dog in a bad mood or seeking to eat the rabbit shit in the soil.

Weeded the garden, got over ten lbs of weeds removed. Should be easier after this, long as I keep up with it. Pretty much everything is growing which has been planted long enough to be growing. Even the cabbage is coming up, one of the last things planted. Have two mounds of green beans and a partial mound of pickling cucumbers, need to start more to complete the row. One row of watermelon and another row of cantaloupe. Lettuce is doing exceptionally well and I'll have to thin at least one row in a couple of weeks or it'll get overcrowded. Want to wait until some grow large enough to eat. Baby Romaine is good for salads.

Weather had pushed things back but now seems to be helping things along. Having a string of warm but cloudy or even rainy days. Even if the ground gets completely soaked, it still drains off quickly. This soil is much more of a challenge to keep moist. But it's getting better after all the work I've put into it. To the point where it's not bad but I think in another year or two of working it, it will be really good gardening soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment