Saturday, April 3, 2010

Some progress

Didn't get the north garden dug out as planned yesterday. More windy conditions and decided to do some amending of the soil before forming mounds. While the wind was just at lull enough, I sprayed the area with a hose mount sprayer filled with vinegar and an N supplement. This is the area where I'll have most of the tomatoes planted.

Today, anyone that saw me would probably have thought I was kind of crazy. This morning, I opened up all the bags of leaves I had beside the shed and proceeded to dump them out on the bare ground. Then took a couple of plates of alfalfa from the bale and spread that in with the leaves. Took out the mulching mower, ran over it a few times with the bagger on. Dumped a couple of bags into the compost pit. Then took the bagger off and ran the rest over many times until it was rather finely chopped. Raked that directly into the soil.

I've been doing linear rows broken into shorter elongated mounds. However, I have been reading a lot on the use of more circular mounds and think I will give this a try on the north side of the garden. That will have the garden with linear mounds, circular mounds and raised beds. Which will let me determine the benefits and drawbacks of each for my garden needs. Many benefits I can think of to mounds but the first to jump out is that it would be rather easy to lay down plastic underneath for water retention. I still think I'll eventually have all raised beds in some fashion but this could work well until then.

Okay, need to hide eggs for my daughter and get to bed.
 Search Amazon.com for raised garden bed kit

No comments:

Post a Comment