Thursday, April 1, 2010

Another sandstorm

Hoping I have the font set properly on this now. Been battling with it since I began this blog. Had tried setting the font at the very beginning but it somehow reverted. I've tried setting the font for each post but somewhere along the line, it reverts back with no announcement of doing so. Hence, all my posts seem to bounce from one font and size to another.

Not getting the work done outside today that I had planned on. Another sandstorm, supposed to last all day. If you ever experience a sandstorm, you have no surprise that the land is mostly bare where they occur. The wind blows strongly enough to rip plants right out of the ground. You do not want to do things outside if you can avoid it because the sand and dirt gets in your nose, eyes, mouth and lungs if not protected.

By the way, it also sucks the moisture completely out of your skin and the topsoil.


Dog doesn't seem to mind it too much. Still trying to get her to accept the doghouse. Maybe this weather will do the trick but she's really not all that bright. Cute but not too smart.

I did get outside and plant some corn. Some ornamental corn but mostly sweet corn. Need to buy more. Going to plant more corn than I had originally planned on. If I can get it to grow early enough, it will offer shade over the cooler weather crops and extend their growing season.

Read about an old Native American planting technique called "Three Sisters" which I'm going to try. It involves planting corn in mounds first. When the corn begins to sprout, you then plant climbing beans (pole green beans will work) and squash (pumpkins in this case) alternating in the same mound. Corn grows tall, beans climb the corn stalks and squash leaves act as natural mulch, helping to prevent weeds and retain moisture in the soil.

Apparently, lots of things I'm planting will help the N problem in my soil. All forms of peas and beans are of the legume family and draw their N from the air. They also harbor certain bacteria in the roots, which help fixate the N in the soil. This makes them excellent companion plants for many other crops. After harvest, the plants can be turned back into the soil or composted. Personally, I plan on cutting them off at ground level and leaving the roots, while composting the rest. 

Since this sandstorm is supposed to last all day and into the night, guess I'll go take a nap and get some indoor work done later.  Dragging today. Quitting smoking and I've been without a regular cigarette for just under 36 hours. I am using both lozenges and electronic cigarettes but there is still a big difference. This is the longest I've gone without smoking for 37 years. Looks like I'll finally quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment