Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tomato experiment

Planted over 80 tomato seeds this evening. I'm not expecting all to survive, as this is an experiment. Most were planted with regular potting soil. Some were planted with a strong vinegar and ammonia solution, to see if they germinate and/or grow any faster. I'll treat different ones in potting soil different ways. Some will be raised normally, some will receive varying strengths of the ammonia/vinegar solution and others will receive rabbit compost mixed with the soil at a later date. Of course, the results will have to be all the way to consumption because it won't do much good to have plants grow like wild, then not produce any tomatoes or produce tomatoes which can't be eaten. But I may actually avoid the use of commercial fertilizers, just to see how less expensive alternatives perform. They will all be planted with compost, though. I'll post results as things progress.

Plans for this afternoon were to put up trellises before the climbing plants start crawling. Didn't happen. When I woke up this afternoon, it was raining rather heavily and it's been raining on and off since then, until now. I did bring the 1x2's in, cut them to size and drilled holes to thread the twine through. After calculating, figured out that I need to get another roll or two of twine, though.

Neglected to mention one reason I picked up the pallets this morning. I ran out of lawn staples, so tried laying down cardboard without them. Hoped watering and rain would set them well enough to not need to be fixed down. No such luck. Wind picked up, cardboard went flying. Not bad now but as plants grow taller, it would do a lot of damage. Harbor Freight was still out of staples, even after their delivery truck came in. So, I figure cutting up some pallets would work, be more stable and last much longer. May do double and just lay the boards over the cardboard. Deter weeds from growing up right between the boards. I don't think these pallets are treated with anything. They're pretty much one time use pallets. Only pallets intended for reuse are treated. No oily residue or chemical odor detectable, either.

Got a call from one of the methadone clinics I applied with, offering a possible job. However, it was the first one I applied with and I have a somewhat negative intuition about it. Hoping I get a call from the second clinic. Even as unstable as my work situation has been for so long, I've learned the lesson to listen to my intuition. When I don't, bad things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment