Friday, April 9, 2010

Coop over halfway done

Got the coop over halfway done this afternoon. Then ran out of the right size nails and screws, so had to go get more. It was dark when I got home.

Made the frame from pallets. Laid a couple of 2x4's over one section, then a piece of composite board for upper nests. Laid down plywood for the bottom nests and floor. Nailed a 1x2 in place for the roost. Not going to raise it for now, just leave the height as is. I still need to put the outside walls in place tomorrow. Cut windows and nest access doors. Got two sets of cheap hinges from Walmart, under $1 a set. Won't be able to finish the run/yard for a few days. Need to get more wood and brackets to make it really sturdy. I'll insulate it later, as well.

Got the new bunny today. She's really cute! Younger than the first one was and a bit skittish. But she'll be okay in the box in the house for a few days. Not allowing any kids inside the house.

One big reason I couldn't afford to finish everything today was because my nursing license is up for renewal. So, after 16 years of nursing, they choose now to want my fingerprints. I really don't recall if I had to have that done when I first got my license. I know my prints are on file from when I got my license in AZ for a contract there before they became a compact state. Any way, my driver's license was also up for renewal. Grand total between DL, fingerprints and Priority Mail was $60. And I haven't even paid the fee for my nursing license yet. Between that stuff and the phone bill, not much slack left. It's okay, nothing that can't wait for a few days.

By the way, the Sterilite idea is working. Just leaving one box outside with the lid on at night with seeds starting inside. Green beans and some melons are coming up. Since I started taking the lid off during the day as soon as I saw growth, hardening off shouldn't be necessary.

Got some more seed corn today and will get that in the ground in a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment