Sunday, April 11, 2010

Still not finished

Bummer. Still couldn't finish the coop yesterday because I didn't have enough materials of sufficient size. Have to finish it during the week. Have all done but two walls and the yard/run. Figure 2-3 man hours of work left.

Transferred the apple trees to larger containers today. Each one had roots extending and wrapping around the bottom of their respective cups. Now all 20 are in larger containers.

Some things in the garden have grown enough to be identifiable. Mostly lettuce and a couple of pea plants, aside from the corn, garlic and onions. Some flower seeds are beginning to grow. In many cases, it's still hard to tell which are plants and which are weeds.

Some grass is growing in the garden. No surprise, since a grassy area was tilled under for that section. Not too bothered by that, as it will help stabilize the soil. My attitude may change in coming months but I'll wait and see. If it's too much of a problem, I'll control it as best possible over the summer and cover the whole area in black plastic over the winter. May also place cardboard in the trenches. That may not be a bad idea, any way. May help with weed, bug and erosion control all season. May help retain moisture for deeper roots, as well. Of course it would look best if I covered it with mulch when I have the money. Decision made. I'll get started on it this week.

Gotten warm enough that I moved the tomato sprouts outside under a tree to get them used to being outside again. If the weather remains warm enough, I'll have about 30 tomato plants ready to transplant into the ground soon. Can't take the chance just yet.

The Sterilite idea for starting seedlings outside is working well. I'm using a deep container, so the unfiltered direct sun is blocked most of the day. If it gets cold again, can always bring them inside. Easy to maintain humidity in the containers, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment