Monday, April 5, 2010

More trees to fell

I was wrong about what kind of trees are in the yard. Not dogwood. Going to have to take down every one of these trees. They're Chinese Elm. They spread like weeds and grow to truly enormous sizes in a short time. They have multiple trunks which spread out widely. With the trees in the yard right now, if I don't take them down, they will eventually leave the entire yard in darkness. Next door neighbor has one in his yard, probably the source of the ones here. His is at least 80 ft tall and 50 feet across. Not kidding. He got an estimate to have it cut down. Estimate was $3000. Not a typo, I do mean 3k for the one tree.

I wouldn't mind them if I never planned on growing anything else. They offer really good shade.

Not going to take them all down entirely just yet. I'll top them off, see if I can control them but I rather doubt it, the way they grow so many trunks. I'd like to get some fruit trees growing to a decent size before completely remove them.

This yard is like an Asian jungle. Chinese Elm and bamboo! WTF? I guess before these things were here, nothing was growing here but weeds. The grass must have been an accident because it doesn't seem previous residents would have planted it on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment