Thursday, April 1, 2010

Strawberry seeds

Learned how to harvest strawberry seeds. Though I keep finding conflicting information on growing them. Some sites say they're biennial and won't produce any fruit until their second year if grown from seed. Others say they grow just fine. May depend on the variety. In any case, the produce store across the street had them on special, so I bought some. Harvested seeds from about four berries, which amounts to around 200 seeds. Just put the berries in a blender with water for a few seconds, then let them sit for a minute. Good seeds sink, bad ones float. Planted them in a thin layer of potting soil. Then made a strawberry-orange smoothie with the fruit. I'll follow up later with how they do. Though I'll likely get some dry roots from the store to increase chances of fruit this year. 

My black thumb still persists. Plants die off and I replant them. In some cases, I can tell why they die and learn from it. In other cases, similar plants right next to them keep right on going. That's okay. It tests my resolve and determination. May actually make me enjoy it more when I have some measure of success.

Saw good news on the news this PM. I was afraid I could get hit with a fine if I was seen watering during certain times. Turns out you can get fined for running a sprinkler during certain times but not for hand irrigation or drip irrigation. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment