Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Ammonium sulpahte test

Got the three dogs to the shelter. Oldest female is off her tie-out line and has an invisible fence collar on. Now that there's no other dog she will risk attacking.

Did the test with ammonia and sulfuric acid. Put a few drops of each into glass containers. Took them both outside. Then poured the acid into the ammonia. The reaction was.. nothing visible. Not even a puff of CO2. That's good. Means it's safe to mix them in a sprayer and apply or in the fertilizer injector, each in varying dilution. Want to see just how well this mixture works to clear any clogged emitters. 

I did leave the glass jar in the sun, to let it evaporate and see if any precipitate crystals form, which I understand is supposed to happen. Won't be much with the amount in the jar. 

Just glad to know I'm not taking my life in my hands by mixing the two together if I make the solution a strong one. I'll mix a solution in the fertilizer injector this evening and run it through the irrigation lines. 

Haven't gotten the check valve yet for the fertilizer injector, so using the fertilizer injector still involves being nearby while using it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment