Friday, April 4, 2014

Light frost

So, temperature did drop down to freezing last night but only a light frost. Nothing too damaging since I took steps to protect the most vulnerable plants.

Looks like every single lettuce and spinach plant I had started previously died off. Mixture of native soil and weak output from the irrigation system in that area. That's okay. At least I know it's not much of an option for starting things like that in the future. I don't think lettuce and spinach have a high rate of transplant success in the first place. Roots of the small plants are too fragile. 

Now the two seed starting flats are clear for other things. And I planted more seeds. Plant out more lettuce this weekend, while there's still a chance of germination. Lettuce grows okay until ambient temp hits 90. Temps are climbing a bit more gradually this year than most, so it seems like I may have a chance for a good cool weather crop. 

Have to finish tilling and weeding final areas this coming week. Get flower seeds started for mid and late summer. Some flowers will come back from last year which grow in early season.

No comments:

Post a Comment