Monday, April 14, 2014

Ramping up

Started lots of flower seeds last night. Mostly Blue Bonnet, Baby's Breath and Marigolds. I could not find the Zinnia seeds I saved from last year. So I bought some more of those today. 

I also started some Sugar Baby watermelon seeds. Think I'm kind of sticking with those this year instead of the giants. I don't know. Maybe a few giant seeds. Soon as I find them. Not a lot, though. The giant fruits wind up mostly as compost instead of food. 

Daughter helped me set up the flower bed today and plant a few live flowers there. 

Picked up a 6 quart jug of battery acid today. Wanted to see first of all if that has a dispenser mechanism on it. It that size does, the 5 gal will, as they're from the same company. It does. Kind of. It has a dispensing tube coming out of the bag in a box. Good enough. Too bad no clamp is included but I can figure out something to use for a clamp. Just the 6 quart size lets me up the concentration a lot to use it more effectively as a grass and weed killer where I don't want things growing. 

Of course, the places I applied acid the other day just served to accelerate growth. The soil still remains so alkaline that applying acid at nearly zero pH just served to increase acidity to a healthy level. So, it's going to take a lot more acid to be effective as an herbicide. 

I can get to some of those things tomorrow. Daughter wanted to go back to her mother's today instead of tomorrow because she wants some time with her mother while they're both off from school and work. So, I have a day to myself. First one in quite a while when not sick. 

Forgot to mention that I got the irrigation system up and running for the front yard this weekend. Still need to clear some dead grass and debris from some areas in the back yard. Thinning out the areas being irrigated, so pressure will be better and fewer weeds to deal with. Spread Cosmos seeds in the front yard and hoping for a mixture of Sunflowers and Cosmos. I think they coexist reasonably well. They seemed like it in limited spots last year in the back yard. 

I moved lots of seedlings outside today. So of course the weather report now calls for freezing for a short time tonight. So now I need to cover the racks before bed. Just going to use the Mylar blankets and place a gallon jug of hot water in the bottom of each rack. That should be sufficient to keep the temperature of the racks above freezing for the night. Temp isn't supposed to drop that low until nearly dawn. It's about 50 degrees right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment