Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Solarizing and mulch

Made the decision to solarize the section around the trees, where I planted flowers last year. That men's placing plastic sheeting down and weighting it to keep it from blowing away. Then leaving it there for 4-6 weeks. That's supposed to kill off weed seeds because it heats the soil as much as 160 degrees down to as much as a foot. 

Using the mulch for the paths in the garden, along with the weed fabric. Figure I can do all the rows that way for around $30 more. That should help control weeds plus moisture loss. Not to mention decrease dirt tracked in the house and make the whole garden look nicer. 

Finally found a concentration of acid which works for killing weeds and grass in my soil. It takes nearly half pure battery acid and a large amount of ammonia. My. Soil remains so alkaline that it fizzes when a strong acid is applied. 

Tried applying a large amount of acid to deep soil around the trees I'm trying to kill. Hasn't worked yet. If nothing in a day or two, have to repeat the process. 

Planted out some tomatoes and pumpkins couple nights ago. Applied weed fabric and mulch to the tomato mounds. I may have enough mulch on hand to finish that. If not, another $3 will finish that. I have enough weed fabric for that already cut to size.

Planted sugar cane last night. Not sure it will grow. It was pretty dry and I'm not sure it will grow if that dry. If it doesn't sprout in a couple weeks have to see if I can buy more. 

I did apply weed and grass killer in some spots and ground clear in other spots outside the food garden this weekend. 

Trimmed the grape vines. One vine already has thousands of tiny grapes forming. Hoping to coax them into a larger size this year. Waiting to see if the other vines forms grapes this year. Saw one small bunch today. 

Ran acid and ammonia through the irrigation lines tonight. Think I need to do a lot more of that, with how alkaline the soil remains. Not sure yet but think the weed fabric and mulch should help retain some acidity. I know it should help other benefits, including earthworms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment