Sunday, April 6, 2014

Few things done

I went out and raked out a lot of the old grass and placed it in the compost bin. That reduces a lot of the material that needs to be burned or tilled under in the last few areas.

Planted the rest of the lettuce seeds I had on hand, which amounted to a considerable space if they grow to any decent size. 

The cucumbers have mostly died off. Not sure why. They're in containers. Not sure if it's wind or what. Can't be salt because I'm not using any native soil. Maybe they still needed more time to harden off? I planted more seeds in the same containers and placed a single layer of mulch on top to control surface moisture loss. Could be that it's still too cool for them. Been bringing them in on colder nights but maybe it's not enough. 

Used a claw hammer to remove grass from around one rose bush which was being strangled by the grass. Then placed a lot of mulch around that bush and watered well. 

Have to do the same thing with one more rose bush and all the small trees in front and back yards. Ones in back will be easiest because I can use the tiller to a large degree. Set to cultivate, so I don't hit anything but the most shallow roots. I think the plum and largest apple tree have gained enough size to reach the resident underground water. 

The largest apple tree has lots of flowers but not sure it will produce many, if any, apples this year. All I've read says you have to cross-pollinate two kinds of apples and the smaller tree isn't large enough to produce flowers yet. Hopefully by next year. 

Picked up 4 bags of mulch and some new micro-sprinklers on the way home from dropping daughter off. One bag goes an amazing distance and should do a lot to make things more attractive. Help keep weeds under control and reduce water needs. Though once the trees tap the underground water, I probably don't need to water them at all. 

I was going to work on the yard some more when I got home this evening but the wind picked up and the temperature dropped just enough to be uncomfortable. So, hoping to be able to get the rest of the major work done in the next 2-3 evenings. 

Maintenance is already setting in. Noted grass and weed seeds sprouting already where I tilled. Much easier to keep controlled with the current arrangement than any previous year.

Had to pick up trash for the second time in a week. Winds have blown garbage over the fence into the yard.  

I'm just happy that I don't have any big reasons to have to climb under the car at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment