Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Survived

As of this moment, it appears like everything survived the short freeze last night. I don't have a thermometer outside at the moment (another victim of the dogs), so I can only rely on weather reports to say if it actually did freeze in my immediate location. It doesn't really look like it did. The irrigation system worked as it should, which would have probably had the smaller lines frozen if it did. 

In any case, only one pumpkin vine looks iffy this morning, which could have been bent by the covering I placed on the plant shelves. However, with freezing you don't always know right away. The damage may not been seen until later in the day. If it did freeze, it wasn't enough to hit the roots of anything.

Learned something last night. I've avoided mixing ammonia and sulfuric acid together because I thought they would neutralize each other. Turns out that's a mistake. I should be mixing them. The sulfuric acid alone is unbuffered. So, part if it combines with calcium carbonate and forms calcium sulfate, which is good and loosens the soil. However, the rest is instantly neutralized by calcium carbonate and sodium in the soil and the acidity factor is gone in seconds. If I combine ammonia and sulfuric acid, they combine (within limits) to form ammonia sulphate, which is a buffered acid and affects the soil pH much longer. I'm still only going to do this in dilute solution until I do a very limited test (few drops of each) to see just how violent the full strength reaction is. That may be the key to killing off those trees on the far west fence. I don't think the acid has been working because it never has a chance to reach the roots. I'll try the full strength test later today. Outside, of course. 

Getting some things done to simplify my life today. Taking the younger female dog and two older puppies to the shelter. Clear out the Camaro and sell it. Maybe clean out the truck and sell it, as well. Get the pantry in better order and then start on the workshop. The combination of all the above will be major steps toward organizing my life. 

Before any of that, have to give the dogs a tick bath. Not so simple. 

Any way, getting rid of the dogs will make it much easier to get the yard cleaned up and keep it cleaner.. and better smelling. The whole yard nearest the house smells like dog waste. Even picking it up just reduces the smell but doesn't eliminate it. Once some of the dogs are gone, can run the sprinklers extensively and get rid of the odor. This will also reduce my cost on dog food by nearly half. In a few weeks, repeat the process with the older female and her puppies, once they're weaned. With the younger female and pups gone, I can also put the invisible fence collar back on the older female and let her loose from her tie-out line. She won't attack the male because he's strong enough to rip her to shreds. Yet he's also the nicest and smartest dog of all and the only one we're keeping. 

Been waiting for the dogs to finish eating. That doesn't take long. Now it's time to start washing them. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment