Thursday, April 10, 2014

Manicuring

I'm actually beginning to get the yard looking slightly more manicured. 

Not too much done this evening but I did get out and rake up a lot of debris from the front yard. Dead grass, largely tilled out recently. Dead parts of old sunflowers. Still lots of material was tilled in. 

Couldn't till very well or deeply around rose bushes and small trees yesterday for fear of tearing up roots. So this evening I grabbed the claw hammer and cleared grass and weeds from around those. 

Now I need to get some weed fabric for the base of those. Then mulch over that. Good part is that the fabric decreases how much mulch is needed. I've mulched some areas before but grass grew right through it. May have actually helped the grass grow better. Though I admit I didn't place enough of it. Weed fabric is on sale for $5 a roll at Home Depot. One roll will apply all the rose bushes and trees, the flower bed in the back yard and still have some left over. 

Started hardening off plants today. Somewhat cool front coming in over the weekend but not too cold. Maybe cool enough for cool weather crops to germinate? I hope. Being more patient with hardening things off this year over previous years. I can probably plant out the giant pumpkins next week. Start planting out tomatoes the week after that. Maybe peppers another week later. All are looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment