Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Configuring

The plow only did a little good for the width of the trenches I am making this year. Wound up making several rows but the trenches were half or less what I wanted. To plow again next to where I had just plowed only resulted in pushing the same soil back and forth, over and over.

So, I grabbed my heavy rake and started raking the small rows together. The end result will be six large rectangular mounds on the south and five of the same on the north. I'm leaving the trenches at about 2 1/2 to 3 ft between mounds.

There will also be a barrier trench between the edge mounds and the grass, which I can keep tilled and treat heavily with acid. Thought being the acid will kill weeds and grass in the trenches but eventually seep laterally into the mounds, having a chance to buffer and not kill off crops due to acid shock. 

If the money is ever available, wood chips would be a good choice for the trenches, making them a lot more attractive and help moderate overall soil temperature while retaining moisture. 

Can only work on the garden a little while longer. Because of the respiratory inflection, it's wearing me out. Need to get to the car, any way. Just wanted to get this done so I can water and let the mounds settle before planting out in them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment