Saturday, March 15, 2014

Up and running!

Well pump is up and running! 

My suspicions were correct. The foot valve was clogged with sand from the bottom of the well. Had to pull the pipes, clear the foot valve and install a shorter pipe. 

I had forgotten I had improvised a foot valve last year. Don't recall why. I think either the size I needed wasn't in stock but it may have been because of pressure rating. I had used a check valve and length of PVC with holes drilled inn it, wrapped with nylon netting. Still works really well. The bottom section got torn from being on the bottom (and from me pumping it up and down to prime to pump). So, cleared the valve and replaced the netting. 

I could be wrong but it seems like the pressure is improved with the steel pipe. Very possible the connections are more secure. It's definite they will remain more secure over time. 

Soaked certain areas of the garden really well. Make it easier to till the rest of it this week. Then I can get the irrigation system set up this week or next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment