Monday, March 3, 2014

Part tilling

Got part of the tilling done this evening. I know I'll be getting more done starting next week, after the time change. 

Right now, the ground is hard as rock. Hard to till. Still too much clay. I'm running the sprinkler to soften up the clay a bit to do more tomorrow. Can't believe the tons of material I've added haven't loosened things up more than they have. It has definitely improved the overall soil quality. While I do need new tiller tines, I don't think they would help all that much without enough water. I think this soil will be hard and somewhat sodic until the top few inches are basically nothing but organic material. Right now, it's pretty much clay with nutrients added. 

Daughter wanted to form her own little garden this year. So, yesterday she potted it out and I tilled it. Added compost and calcium, she added dead grass and wood chips and I tilled those in. Then she used her little hoe to form rows. We'll fence and plant it this coming weekend. 

Giving tobacco another try this year. Tried it last couple of years but either it's too salt sensitive or I moved it out too soon. Or all the above. Started it earlier this year and give it more time before moving it out. Then try planting some out and keeping some in containers. 

I need to get more plastic shoe boxes to put peat pots in. 

Then I have to slow down and/or add more shelves in the office. I'm out of space!

No comments:

Post a Comment