Monday, May 2, 2011

Freeze alert (amended)

Well, we had frost here last night, after all. Spotty frost. Only damaged a few things.

However, there's a freeze warning on for tonight. Of course, I didn't see that until I had planted out the giant pumpkin sprouts. Not too much difference. They had rooted all the way to the bottoms of their containers and roots were wrapping around each other. If they freeze, I'll just have to get more seeds and replant in a few weeks.

It'll still upset me most if the tomatoes and green beans freeze. Of course, won't be happy about anything else but those will distress me more than anything at this point.

Not too much to do now. See what happens and check things out tomorrow evening.

After writing the above, I realized I did have something I could do. All those plastic buckets would serve well to help insulate plants for a mild frost. It's supposed to be warm tomorrow. So, between the buckets I've stockpiled and the mail containers that "J" gave me the bunny compost in last year, I had enough to cover a number of plants. None of the green beans, since they're climbing the trellises. I did cover most of the tomatoes, though a couple were too tall. Covered many of the pumpkin plants. And I cannot disappoint my daughter, so no small number are covering flower plants. With 31 plastic containers covering the garden, it looks like a plastic bucket garden. But if it works, that's quite alright!

Oh, forgot to mention. The Nurse Practitioner who is my boss wasn't there today. Some kind of training or meeting. But I did finally get the computer access I need to do my job. Not much use for it today. I got paid for making two phone calls and otherwise sitting on my ass all day, doing nothing. Unless I was in orientation, I cannot think of a single day before this in over 16 years of nursing when I got paid to do so little. She's supposed to be gone tomorrow, also.

That's okay. I can use the time to finish getting signed off on the rest of my in-processing paperwork. Would have done that today but my knee was in sharp pain. Not such a bad thing. In this case, it's a sign my knee is almost well. Besides, the novelty was worth something in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment