Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weather changes

Having big changes from the weather changing so drastically so quickly. Temperature has jumped straight to near 90 some days now. Many established plants which were doing well are suffering a bit, while other things are beginning to sprout. A couple of pumpkins which I thought dead are forming new leaves. Other plants have browning edges on the leaves, like they're burned.

I was wandering around, wondering if I had done something terribly wrong. Too much fertilizer? Then I looked around and saw that it's a problem all around. Grass which was green is brown. Trees are shedding some leaves, even though they're green.

Basically, it seems like a widespread case of sunscald. Just like trying to harden plants off too quickly. Some plants will die off. Others will shed burned foliage and grow new. Some others may seem weak for a while and then recover.

Though I am happy I planted out a bit early. Some people I've talked with have just begun planting. They won't have the frustration I've had but I do have green beans which can be picked today. Had a salad from the garden this week. Daughter says the lettuce is the best she's ever eaten. I agree.

Couple the changes with how dry it is and problems are no surprise. NM is now in the midst of the worst drought in 100 years or more. (Meaning the water bills will be going up, on top of gas, power and food soon to follow.) If water bills increase too much, I may get a storage tank and do refresher reading on water treatment.

After the gas outage this winter, I plan on learning how to make methane. At least have the knowledge to go completely off the grid. Electric, water, gas and as much food as possible.

The plants I moved out to harden off are all doing really well. Had to stake some of the tomatoes yesterday. Melon seedlings are growing well. In all cases, have to plant out or transplant to larger containers soon.

Daughter and I went swimming yesterday. She surprised the heck out of me! She's made moves toward the diving board before but wouldn't even go up to it without me going with her. Yesterday, she said she was going to try it and walked over without me. I was expecting her to reach the end of the board and turn back. She got to the end of the board, looked a little nervous but then pinched her nose and jumped! Of course, I was not far off and watching for her to surface. She did and swam over to the side of the pool. High fives, hugs and praise later, she climbed the ladder and went to jump again. Did it a total of five times yesterday. For 8 years old, a great job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment