Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tired but productive

Not sure why but I've felt tired today. Maybe the weather. Maybe avoiding walking to some degree.

Still, talked myself into getting things done. Dishes, laundry and going to clean more in a bit. Just taking a break.

Since cucumbers and melons along the fence haven't grown from the first planting, I replanted. Learned to keep left knee straight and kneel on the right. Also scattered more marigold seeds in that area. Have some growing (no flowers yet) but I'd like a whole row of them. Attractive, good for the garden, good for the bunnies. It is possible things started to grow there below the mulch. Then cold weather came and wiped them all out.

I scattered my remaining lettuce seeds over the north side of the garden. Maybe if that starts growing, it will act as a living mulch for other small plants. In any case, if it grows it will help condition the soil.

Went ahead and direct planted onion seeds over most of the south garden. Not supposed to companion plant onions with beans or peas but I've had onions growing on one row, which now has the largest pea vines. Maybe just let them grow to set size and then transplant them after I harvest the first crop between tomatoes. From all I can tell, the first crop is producing some really large onions. Least the tops are big. Too bad I'm not a great fan of green onions (chives). If the seeds start growing by the time these are ready to harvest, I can sell some of these. I love onions but 100 onions are a bit much for me.

Okay, break's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment