Saturday, May 28, 2011

Little better

I started using the sprinkler in the north garden night before last. It's already haing a positive effect. Corn is sprouting which was not before. And a decent amount, too. That would be the small, early season crop. I also recently planted a larger, late season crop.

The effect of the high clay content is odd when you encounter it. I would water the garden manually on that side before this. Water one area, move to another area while that soaked in, then water the first part again and so on. The soil would look damp, even saturated. Yet if I dug down an inch or so, the soil was completely dry. The moisture was locked in the top 1" or less of soil. Maybe I was still watering too heavily and too quickly, resulting in runoff. Didn't seem that way but the soil was damp again below about 4". (The 1" to 4" layer is the most common root zone for younger plants, once they take root.) Which is why things would start to grow and then die off.

I spread more mulch in the trenches between rows yesterday. Mulching on top seemed to actually sap moisture from the plants, though maybe that's because the mulch was too green. I may let it compost in the trenches and then try placing it back on the top in a few weeks. Though I've also planted pumpkins, lettuce and mini pumpkins (gourds) in that area. Hoping if they start growing, they will form a living mulch. As it is, the side mulch helps slow down moisture loss from the lower soil. So far I'm not seeing much weed control from the mulch. So when I pull weeds I get a handful of mulch with the weeds.

I spread mulch across the bare soil beyond the garden yesterday. If it does help deter weeds, that area needs the most control. In any case, that soil needs the most amending. Figure as the mulch breaks down it should work into the soil. If I ever get a tiller it can just be worked in right where it lays. Just for continuity, I spread mulch over the walking areas around and through the garden, also. Should look good once it settles. For now it looks a little wild, like a forest floor. I do know if I spray the mulch with vinegar it will hold the acidity better and realease it gradually, which will help control weeds better.

Need to stop writing and get some things done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment