Sunday, May 29, 2011

Heebee jeebees

My skin is crawling. It's a funny thing about me. I can face a gun, a knife, several pairs of fists and many other dangers with barely a flinch. But certain insects and infectious reservoirs give me severe creeps.

The dog has had ticks nonstop for months. I treat them, they're gone for a few days and back again. Haven't known just where in the yard to spray. To treat the whole yard would be really expensive and could kill off butterflies, hummingbirds and even birds. Guess I could try insecticidal soap but somehow doubt it would work on them.

Today, I watered an area I don't commonly water. A few minutes later, my daughter started spotting one tick after another in a seemingly endless chain. Apparently they were running away from the water! She was in her swim suit, barefoot and I was standing in shorts and short sleeves. Guess I know where to spray now! However, at the moment the slightest breeze across my skin has me itching and nervous. Have to check daughter over later. Can't spray until she is gone due to her asthma and then best to wait until it's not so windy.

It's been a hot day but windy, so it didn't feel so hot. We took a walk down to the playground, played for a while. Walked back and got an Icee on the way. Had carried some chips and Koolaid with us. When we got home, I set up her small pool and she played in it for hours.

We had picked peas this morning. Had those, the potatoes from the garden and a salad for lunch with leftover bbq from last night. But the slow rate of the garden leaves me with no illusions. If we depended on the garden for survival, we'd be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment