Tuesday, May 3, 2011

No frost last night

I'm sure that many farmers in the north central and northwest would gladly change places with my concerns right now.

I feel really badly for them and all they're going through. However, their plight makes it even more important for my own garden to have some success this year. With their land being flooded and no knowing if they will be able to produce crops at all, we can be certain that grocery prices will skyrocket soon. Those prices will remain high for quite some time. Look at a current weather map and you see nothing but snow, ice, flooding and drought all the way across the country. Almost like we're heading into another Dust Bowl.

According to the weather report, there was no frost in my area last night. There was no frost obviously visible this morning. However, the thermometer outside indicated the temp was in the 20's when I went to catch the bus. So I am happy I covered things up.

Forecast says it should be warmer from here on. But it said that before. We actually did have an early spring..followed by late winter fronts multiple times. Many wild things just won't grow this year and many crops will be late, if they grow at all. So I'm far from alone in my struggles. Doesn't make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment