Saturday, June 4, 2011

Aquarium and butterflies

Daughter and I went to the botanical gardens, the butterfly exhibit and the aqauarium today. It was a good day.

The ex was nice. Dropped us off and even used her season pass to get daughter in for free. Took her out of her way to do so. I appreciate it.

Daughter enjoyed the botanical gardens much more than I thought she would. My gardening has really rubbed off. She wanted to collect seeds from a lot of plants to bring home. Really enjoyed all the flowers. Bees made her a little nervous but neither of us got stung.

Both of us were amazed by the butterflies. We had gone to the exhibit once when she was small but she doesn't recall and I do recall there were many more butterflies this time around. Hundreds of them, various species. Beautiful!

We stopped and heard a band playing at the farmhouse exhibit in the gardens. They were playing some celtic and some zydeco. Odd combination but they were good. Daughter laid with her head on my shoulder and enjoyed the music a lot.

Went to the aquarium as the weather got hotter. Spent a while there. She still gets disappointed at how small it is.

Walked a couple blocks and had lunch at McDonald's. I was happy to see that one has added a play place.

Stopped at the dollar store on the way home. Spent time outside this evening. Wind had picked up and cooled things down. No smoke from the fire in Arizona which has blown in and choked the city past two nights.

Was happy to find one baby bunny survived. It got brave enough to start hopping out of the hutch again today. We picked it up and petted it this evening.

Daughter surprised me and picked lettuce to munch on from the garden today. Loved it all by itself.

Zinnias look like they should flower this week. Talked to some master gardeners today and they're right on track. Few more weeks for marigolds. Other flower plants are growing larger, so I guess most of what I planted must be summer or even fall blooming.

Still only a few carrots, so I planted more today. Don't recall when they grew last year but sure it was around this time they showed up. Just as the lettuce all bolted.

Going to dismantle some of the raised beds and extend the rows they meet with this week. Harvest the garlic which has survived. Plant some more corn.

From a distance, the garden is now looking good. Rows all have green on them. Too bad much of that is vining clover. But crops are growing. I'm just impatient, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment