Thursday, June 16, 2011

More pumpkins

Since things haven't grown well in a couple of areas, decided to try planting more pumpkins in those spots. Pumpkins grow best in good soil but will grow in tough soil and help condition that soil. The two plants my daughter and I found growing from seeds we scattered were both in hard, packed soil. The seeds had actually probably been stamped into the ground by horse hooves.

A great thing about pumpkins- you can plant your entire seed stock and not have to save back. Just one or two pumpkins harvested will provide all you need for the following year!

It's possible that growing pumpkins will help other things grow in those areas. I won't count on it but it would be cool if that happened. And I'll go ahead and plant bush green beans to help the pumpkins along. That will also help the soil in those areas. I'll loosen the soil down to about a foot and dig in some mulch and compost where I plant each pumpkin seed. Use lots of rabbit pellets.

Think I'll go ahead and plant pumpkins in the front yard, also. Did that last year but too late. Now would be a good time for it and should have pumpkins in front for the holidays. A small pumpkin patch for the neighborhood kids. Around Halloween, if I have pumpkins growing, can give one to each child. And may decorate the patch.

Been hot here even at night lately. Down side is that I've had to leave the generator on to power the fan or I can't sleep well. Up side is that the heat has prevented an air inversion, so smoke from the wildfires remains higher in the atmosphere, not sinking to ground level.

Today is traininng day at work. No patients in the clinic. Counting today, 7 calendar days and 5 working days left to the contract. Of those 5 days, patients will be seen in the clinic only 2 days. A clinic seeing patients 2 days out of 7. My,my. Aren't we productive?

Won't have much chance to take time off but will take a day or two to myself. Work around the house. Have an interview the morning after the contract ends. Be good if I can find a stable regular job and supplement with agency. Can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment