Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Greener

Happy to say things are getting a bit greener in the garden now. Couple of pumpkin plants have even formed small flowers. Some cucumbers are doing the same. Going to wind up thinning corn in some places because much of what I planted is now coming up..doubled. Tomato plants are growing larger and I staked more this evening. Not any of impressive size but still growing.

What is rather impressive is the size of some of the flower stalks. One is now as tall as I am. Should be some huge flowers once they bloom.

Some of the marigold bushes are reaching an impressive size, as well. Much larger than last year. No blooms or even buds yet but hopefully soon. Just the plants are helping deter aphids. Some have grown up in unexpected but not inconvenient places, so I'm just letting them grow there.

Though some of the peas have started browning and lettuce and spinach bolted, I'm leaving them in place for now. Help act as natural living mulch.

Aside from the companion plants, it's helping to spray the garden with insecticidal soap. I often mix it with other things. This evening, I mixed it with ammonia and iron.

So things are looking up! Of course, still hoping for more. Who wouldn't?

The whole stretch along the north fence remains bare, except for marigolds. At least that tells me the soil is weak, not poisoned. I didn't do very much work on that area, so fertilizing and composting to condition it will do some good.

Keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment