Sunday, January 2, 2011

Just another reason to go solar

So, the battery held a charge. Enough to start and drive to McDonald's. When my daughter and I came out, the battery was dead again.

While driving there, the voltmeter showed just under 14 volts, more than when it had been on the charger. So the alternator is working and the battery is charging but not holding a charge for long. I didn't leave anything on last night after all.

The ex came and helped me start the van, picked up daughter and took her home. She was nice about it. Maybe mostly because she saw the look on my face.

I don't have enough money for a new battery. So have to get a rebuilt one nearby tomorrow.

If I had a solar system in place, it would include multiple 12 volt batteries, likely near or fully charged. One could be borrowed from the system for a couple of days and I wouldn't have to get to the clinic late tomorrow. No such luck for now.

I was at Harbor Freight the other day and noted their 45 watt solar system is now down to $199. So solar is becoming a much more realistic option. A 45 watt system will charge at least one, possibly two batteries (batteries not included in system they sell). Maybe I can supplement grid with solar in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment