Monday, January 17, 2011

Trend continues..mostly (amended)

The weather forecast predicts the temps to continue to warm up here. Most of the coming week, not even dropping below freezing at night. However, that's for the metro area and my house is in an area which gets a few degrees cooler. Still, growing season may not be far off.

Last night I started planting seeds which can take a while to grow. Marigolds, allysum and ornamental corn. Need to get more styro cups and some flats to plant more seeds.

Staggered planting of corn didn't work last year. When planting one species it has to be in blocks of each type. Marigolds take a while to start flowering. The allysum it seems should have been planted indoors in the fall. Hoping that planting now will bring flowers by mid-summer. Daughter picked those out.

As mentioned before, the weather will help the composting process along. Think I'll add some more cover to the sections of garden with tarps today.

Since it's MLK Day (along with any holiday here) nothing much is moving and little can be accomplished on a job hunt. Scheduled to work tonight.

I test jumped the motor scooter with the car battery this weekend. Got power. I had tested the battery some weeks ago with the multimeter which turned out to be no good. So readings were false. Scooter battery was shot. If I work tonight, will get a new one this week and try to get it running. Then have to work on the problem of insurance and registration. But it will be transportation until I get another car.

It's a few hours later. Though still a little weak from a virus, can't stand sitting around. So went out and worked on the soil. Replaced soil in the dug up sections, layered with leaves and compost and treated as usual. Broke up a large section of ground which was hard clay with grass on top. Yeah, that was easy (sic).

It's a nice day for it. Temp around 60 or so. Worked up a sweat for the first time in months. One thing's certain- I'm getting lots of exercise lately. Even better that my metabolism has stabilized and I'm not dropping weight like I was for a while. The digging shows on my arms. May be a benefit when applying for some jobs. Even if not, good to stay in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment