Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

I'm really tired but today was a good day.

Daughter woke up before 7 this morning. Saw the easter basket on the dining room table. Started finding eggs and candy the Easter Bunny had hidden in the house. No way either of us were going back to sleep after that! So, the egg hunt proceeded inside and then outside. Finished before 8 AM. We had breakfast and a fairly simple day after that.

She played with her friend from across the street. She's really good about sharing. Doesn't have to be told to do so, it's just her nature. So she shared her candy with him. They played for a while, then he invited her to an egg hunt at his grandmother's house down the street. She wanted to go and I said yes. Then she said she just wanted to hunt for eggs but would give all of them to her friend. They wound up not having the hunt until after her mother picked her up because they hadn't colored the eggs yet. Thing is, she was consciously more interested in the hunt than the items being hunted. Before leaving, she had me hide her eggs again so she could find them one more time.

I think she may have slept better than I did last night. I laid awake, listening to her breathing. After going to sleep, I woke up every time she coughed or if I heard any alteration in her breathing.

She still had some difficulty breathing today. I kept checking and it was all sinus based. Just don't want it to move down into her chest. In that, too, she is unbelievably brave. I made her (yes, made her) use her inhaler once today. While using it, she was dancing in place and making funny faces at me!

As a father, I'm luckier than I could have ever hoped and luckier than any father I have ever known.

Okay, this is a garden blog, so I guess I should write something about gardening.

I realized today that there are now spots of green on every single mound in the garden. Some only have some very small spots but others are developing really well. Whole rows of tomatoes and onions, other rows of green beans, peas, lettuce and spinach, others with corn, potatoes, onions and broccoli. Carrots are beginning to sprout in various places. The best part is that the north side is actually growing ffor the first time. Not as well as the south garden but it's growing.

I still think the mulch isn't helping much on the mounds. Blocking light which some seeds need to germinate. Some plants seem to grow better when I move the mulch away from them. I think it may be best to just remove the mulch from some of the mounds and let it compost or at least dry and save for next year os other purposes. Not sure yet. It does help in the trenches and sides of the mounds, at least a little. And that will compost naturally over time.

Bath and bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment