Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Slightly different day

Had a slightly different day today. Phase of the moon or something?

My morning bus normally comes at least 5 minutes late. Which means I just barely miss the connecting bus and that causes me to wait for a later 3rd bus. Today the first bus arrived about 2 minutes late. I still missed the second bus by mere moments, so close I watched it pull away from the curb. That was because the people walking in front of me were walking very slowly and would not move to one side. In short, walking like New Mexicans. It's okay. For once, I didn't have to deal with one guy, about 60 years old, who paces slowly back and forth in front of me like he's waiting for me to ask him on a date or something like that. Every morning. Has never spoken to me. Creeps me out. (For the record, it would creep me out if a female was exhibiting the same behavior.)

Finally got the word that I can go get my computer access card tomorrow. Only problem is getting a military person give me a ride. Have to go on post and can't go without a military sponsor.

Still learning the job. Getting better at it. Quite a different world from what I'm used to.

Managed to catch an earlier bus home than usual. I've already watered the garden, fed the rabbits, washed and hung out laundry which I had soaking since this morning. Nice to get home at a decent time.

Knee is feeling better. Not pushing it yet. No urge to take steps backward in my recovery. (Pun intended.) For a couple of days that I'm aware of, I've been walking with my left foot a full 90 degree angle from the right foot. Really puts stress on muscles you don't normally use. The knee support from Dollar Tree really helps.

Even if I could afford a check valve right now, which I can't, it's still hard to get to a hardware store. Finally figured out the basics of how to make one using PVC piping and a rubber ball. I don't have a spring but may figure out a substitute. If not, it will still work with back pressure from the water. BTW, it's sometimes called a backcheck valve. Now that I know the basics of how to make one, it really amazes me how much commercial check valves cost! Rather ridiculous!

People have told me my perception is not accurate regarding local manners being poor. I have questioned myself as to how accurate my observations are. In the past, I have spoken with people from other places who affirm them. Still not enough. Now, working on the Air Force base, I have much stronger comparison. Most of the people on the base are from other places. Nearly every one has better manners than local natives or naturalized locals. The difference is so apparent that you can discern the difference just walking from the active duty section and through the VA hospital. The attitude, gait and manners deteriorate in the space of a few hundred yards. By the time you reach the front of the VA, it's apparent you're in Albuquerque. Truly amazing.

Want to call my daughter and still have to do dishes, so I'm done writing for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment