Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Almost done

No work again tonight. Keep up this way and I'll be living in my van in a few weeks. Really frustrating because only a few shifts would bring me flush.

Oh, well. At least it's a good night for TV.

As usual, with no work scheduled, got some things done around here. Nearly have the entire block wall taken down and the blocks stacked neatly in the back yard. This section is most difficult because these blocks are below ground level. I may not take up the blocks along the side of the house, as my plans are for a walkway or thermal wall on that side. Leaving the blocks in place would help stabilize anything placed there. In the front, the trench left behind will make a good place for bushes and small trees planned there.

Got a surprise when I turned the open compost pile today. It was HOT. Not warm but hot! I've read about this, written and experimented with it but have not experienced it to this level. Though the experiments occurred before learning about using ammonia for Nitrogen, a very important element in that process. Things I've read referred to compost piles of tens of tons, which I do not have by a long shot. This pile may not achieve 160 degrees but it's close and this pile is only about 3 ft high. Which confirms compost would be a viable heat source. Other people have experimented with ventilation and water pipes running through a compost pile with positive results. I'm more interested in using compost to provide winter heat and CO2 for a greenhouse. Not bad for a pile of leaves!

Got the letter in the mail to my congressman about the mortgage company. Picked up some books to keep learning new things. Greenhouse design, electric motor repair and building with adobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment