Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bankruptcy (amended)

Today is the day I start the bankruptcy process. I hope. (Yeah, not something you hear too often.)

It's going to cost a bit to do this. Especially since I'm going the chapter 13 route, which is more honorable. In chapter 13 you make arrangements to pay your debts, while in chapter 7 you try to have your debts discharged by the court. I'm not asking anyone to write off what I owe them, just make reasonable arrangements for me to pay them. And in this case, the court will oversee the actions of Wells Fargo. It will help me secure the house and end their threats. All payments are made through a court trustee. You pay them and they pay the creditor. Any and all communication takes place through the trustee.

Have to gather all the bills and make some calls. Called a few lawyers yesterday. Some charge hundreds more than others. Some wouldn't quote even a base estimate on the phone, even though the process is very established. Won't be going to them. Now I need to see if I can get into one of the offices this morning.

It's now about 30 mins later. Can't get in to start things this week. Guess the courts and lawyers are off for the holidays. Can't get in on Mon or Tue because of work hours. So I have an appointment for Wed afternoon next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment