Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Progress of cuttings

I'm finding it obvious that the grape tomato plant is the most adaptable one I've got. The main plant now has multiple vines which reach 6 ft high, the tallest tomato plant I have ever seen in person. It would probably grow taller but it's now at the height of the window. So now it's getting bushier.

I've taken two cuttings from that plant, last one yesterday. The first one, just taken last week, is now flowering! That cutting is about 9"-10" tall above the soil line. The cutting from yesterday is taking and that one is about 2 ft tall and I staked it when transplanting it.

The brandywine isn't quite as sturdy. One cutting died off. Not sure if I did something wrong, so took another cutting this morning.

Both plants are still forming tomatoes. Quite a surprise. I know they're warm enough but did now know if they had enough light. Guess they do!

The brandywine is now also growing runners from the soil level. It's also perking up since moving to a larger planter this weekend. It looked a bit abused for a while because I had to trim so much off. But it took a beating from the tiny insects and mold a couple weeks back. Both problems are nearly gone. Mostly thanks to a garlic, soap and bleach spray I made and used on them.

Now up to 26 cups of seedlings sprouted. Though many cups have multiple sprouts because of my habit of planting multiple seeds in each one. So actual count is currently 57 sprouts. Wonder how many will survive until spring?

If growing from cuttings works out, I'll use that as my primary method and mostly plant from seed for new varieties. Though keep seeds dry and set aside. Thing I've read about cuttings is that one plant only produces for a few years, while cuttings have the same actual age as the parent. Not sure how accurate that is or if the writers may have exhausted the soil in one place. Have to try it myself and see.

I'll also tag the adult plants I have inside now. If they're still producing next fall, will bring the same ones inside for winter again. See how many seasons they keep going and producing before going dormant, dying off or becoming sterile.

No comments:

Post a Comment