Friday, December 31, 2010

No thaw

The pipes thawing out on their own seems rather unlikely today. If temps go above freezing at all it will be just barely.

Going to set up a small fire can and a tarp to warm the pipes. Thought about that last night but it was too windy and would have been dangerous.

Funny, in the last couple of years I have learned more about the migration of heat and cold than I ever expected to. May seem obvious knowledge but much of it is not. Much of our modern knowledge of these things is obscured by artificial heating and cooling along with fan forced air. Even why the design of my fireplace does more to make parts of the house cold than warm. It's attractive but a bad design. Would have been much better at absolute floor level and/or in the center of a room. If you build a fireplace, build it as low as you can. Trust me on this. (Or ask me why.)

Agency is closed today, so can't pick up my check from working yesterday. Have enough to make it til Wed. Have to put off paying one bill for now.

Haven't been able to quit smoking yet. Guess I'll make it a NY resolution. Haven't even thought of those yet but I tend to make resolutions all year. But since I haven't quit, need to go get cigarettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment