Friday, December 3, 2010

More composting in place

Didn't have enough material to cover the whole garden yesterday. Spread out what I had and it covered about half the garden.

That's okay. This morning I moved the rabbit hutch over (which has chicken wire on the bottom) and took the rabbit pellets to spread over the still uncovered portion of soil. That section was the weakest and latest to sprout this year. Not sure I mentioned that I raked lots of leaves into the garden and added soil from the raised planters. Then sprayed the whole garden with diluted ammonia. I think with the whole mixture it should result in a good composting process.

Any way, I spent a few dollars which may have had good use elsewhere to buy one more roll of black plastic sheeting today. That was just enough to cover what was left of the main garden. Soaked it well one more time and covered it up and weighed it down with cinder blocks. I wanted to give the soil and additives as much chance as possible to compost. Between now and late March or early April should be good. Whatever is left will mix in the soil well and help condition it over time.

I may need one more roll of black plastic once I dig out the compost pit. Need to do that soon to start the next batch and have it all ready by spring. Current batch looks good and doesn't need to compost too much more. Though adding some diluted ammonia may not hurt anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment