Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New plan

Came up with a new plan of attack last night. Should work, long as I can survive and keep the house until early spring.

With starting so many plants inside and having large amounts of compost setting outside, this can be done. The idea of starting plants from cuttings is a good one which can be expanded. People will pay significant amounts to buy well established tomato plants in the spring. So, if I start lots of these and allow them to grow to 3-4 ft high, I can sell them for a decent additional income. Especially if I keep them free of pesticides.

This plan will require a bit of effort and possibly minimal investment. Such as building some cold covers to extend the growing season. I have the materials on hand for that. Be a good idea to be more aggressive and vigilant about asking stores and restaurants for plastic buckets. The irony is that, to keep much of my own compost as possible, I may have to purchase a yard or two of local commercial potting soil to do this.

I can expand the effort when I start planting other seeds in a few weeks. Like marigolds and possibly corn. If the peas ever grow large enough going to give a shot at starting new vines from cuttings, as well. Wouldn't hurt to try. I'll come up with other ideas later but tomatoes are a good starting point because they're popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment