Friday, February 25, 2011

On the edge

Mentioned errands in my earlier post. Those errands involved pulling things back from the edge.

Got my tax refund back last night. Minus a good chunk for taxes still owed from last year. Then finally got my pay from working Monday night. Sounds good but I've been so far behind that it only made me less so.

Most of the money went to the mortgage. Still didn't bring it entirely current but hopefully enough to take foreclosure off the table for the bank. Should be enough.

Other parts went to avoiding the water being turned off and default on the ex's vehicle. Paid a bit more to bring the student loan current.

Have about a week to avoid having the (recently massively inflated) gas turned off. I'll make it. In the same period, need to try and pay another $500 toward the mortgage to bring it fully current. Otherwise, just hope I've paid enough to hold them off a short while longer. But the old agency ceasing daily pay doesn't help. And of course I need to get enough together to pay the retaining fee to the lawyer as quickly as I can. Somehwere in there I need to get the scooter running. Then I can think about getting the power back on.

Sounds like a lot but if I keep getting work it can all happen and change for the positive in a few short weeks.

In the meantime, this combination has much to do with my obsession with the garden. Some would say that I spend too much on the garden. Truth is that I spend $10 a week or less on the garden and virtually nothing in the winter. It's more an issue of effort. I do still buy seeds but less and less over time. I look for deals on seeds. I've learned how to harvest many kinds of seeds. Collecting and composting leaves. Making my own vinegar to adjust the soil pH. Unintentionally talking my way into several tons of mulch. Using household ammonia for fertilizer.. In all, I'm not exactly spending a fortune.

It helps relieve stress and gives me goals, things to work on and hope for.

Well, if nothing else, I'll be prepared if society collapses!

No comments:

Post a Comment