Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wind storm

Went ahead and planted the rest of the strawberry roots this morning. I'll get one more package to plant with my daughter. (If she's actually interested. If not, plant them myself.) That will make two full rows.

Not getting anything else done outside today. Too windy. It was calmer but slightly windy while I was planting but kicked up to a constant 30 mph with gusts over 40. And colder. Possibility of a little snow this morning and rain this afternoon.

Scheduled for work tonight, so I don't mind the weather too much. It increases the odds that I won't be canceled.

Each revision to the weather forecast predicts increasing temperatures and more nights around 40 degrees, less below freezing. So it's safer and safer to plant cold tolerant crops. Only thing planted so far I have doubts about are watermelons and cucumbers but both were planted in the last 2-3 days. I saw last year that seeds planted too early simply lie dormant until conditions are right for them. Makes sense, as that's what all plants do which produce seeds.
Looked up some prices. Should be able to build a basic fence for under $20. That's using wood I have in the yard and possibly plastic poultry netting. I'd rather it be something stronger but can't spend the extra money for a while. Good part is that the netting can be salvaged later for trellises. If I wait too long, the dog will destroy the garden. Even if she doesn't dig, she runs across the tops of the rows, knocking off the mulch and top layers of soil.

I have to admit that my plans for the yard and garden never included a dog. This is a good dog but I'm not that much into pets that require a lot of attention. Rabbits and chickens are more my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment