Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Paving/ insect soap update

For some time (years, from what I hear) the county has been saying something about repaving my street and installing curbs. Have to say I find it slightly odd, since there's no curb on the more major cross street nearby. However, they did replace the gas meters and seem to have replaced gas pipes under the street while doing that. Now they have dropped off some drainage pipes on the side of the road. So it seems they will add drainage which eliminates Lake Aaron Ct and adjoining Lake Barcelona, which form during any rains.

If they do start paving the street, I'm going to ask if some speed bumps can be installed at the same time. The major speeders have been gone for a while, being non-resident bed or drug buddies of neighbors but new ones can always materialize. I don't want to see my daughter or another child run over by some idiot. Most people that live on this street slow down once they turn on this street.

Called a short while ago and got scheduled by the new agency for tonight. Have to call the older agency and see what can be done about my pay for Mon night.

The insecticidal soap I made appears to be working as well or better than the commercial stuff. And only costs a few pennies a gallon. I have a jar of concentate which I mixed almost two months ago now. Couple of teaspoons to a quart of water and shake it up. One reason for the concentrate was to see how well it stores. So far, no sign of bacterial or fungal growth at all. This summer I'll play with different mixtures and add garlic, tomato leaf and/or marigold to it for different insects.

Been playing around to find best time of day to use it. For the most part, late afternoon appears best. While still warm but beginning to cool down. Once outside, just before twilight would probably work best. Daytime insects will still be active and evening insects just becoming active. That time gives the spray more time to remain wet yet dry or shed before full sunlight. So more insects come in direct contact with it. One thing I've found with whiteflies is that spraying the surface soil is necessary because they burrow in loose soil.

At this concentration, I have had no problems in using the insecticidal soap on a near daily basis. Probably not such a good idea outside. Understand the soap can burn the plants in direct sunlight. Besides, I do have concerns about beneficial insects like bees, ladybugs and butterflies. Not to mention possible effects on hummingbirds. Just not a "kill everything" kind of guy.

It's a fairly warm day. Chicks have feathered out well. Going to move them to the coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment