Friday, February 25, 2011

Wind, allergies and sleep deprivation

Worked last night, then went shopping this morning and had errands to do.

Walmart once again has racks of seeds for $0.20 this year. Note that the racks are small and not prominently placed. You have to search for them and choices are limited. Mostly flowers but I did find some green bean and watermelon seeds which I bought. They do have seeds for squash, lettuce and other veggies which I didn't want or didn't need. I did pick up about a dozen assorted flower seed packs. Hoping to find more species of flowers which will grow here successfully.

Also got some strawberry roots which were only $3 for 10 roots. Got two packs of everbearing berries but may get more later. Looking to have two full rows if they take. One of the biggest mistakes I've been making has been planting strawberries which only grow one or two crops a year. Chose more carefully this time. Strawberries which produce one or two crops are fine for commercial growers who harvest the whole crop at once. For the home garden, it's more beneficial in general to seek out an everbearing type, so you have a more consistent supply available. Unless you do a lot of canning. I've been worried about frost but apparently that's not such a problem, only hard freeze is an issue.

Got one small package of the red seed potatoes my daughter asked me to plant. We can plant those tomorrow. May get more seed potatoes later. Didn't have the greatest luck with potatoes last year but not sure how much of that had to do with when I planted, soil conditions, weather.. And potatoes tend to be cheap to begin with, so tying up limited garden space isn't the best choice that I know of.

Wind has been pretty strong here lately. Combine that with not getting home and to bed until nearly 1 PM and up again at 4, my allergies are in high gear. Probably has a lot to do with feeling achy and tired.

Think I'll get to bed early and do house cleaning in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment