Monday, February 7, 2011

Work tonight

Got a shift for tonight. Hoping not to be canceled.

Tried going out to rake the excess grass from the remaining rows this morning but ground was frozen solid. Now the forecast is for snow tonight. Guess it'll be a few days before that gets done.

Went ahead and transplanted tomatoes to larger pots. For some it was the nick of time. Not going to plant any more tomato seeds. I think a little over 30 is sufficient. In future years, when I have more effective space for it, I may plant lots of extras for selling.

Planted more pepper seeds. Jalapeno, serrano and chile. Have some red and yellow bells ripening and drying to harvest the seeds. Once those seeds are ready they can be planted. Everything I read says peppers and tomatoes are great companion plants.

Started making a tentative plan for the garden. It really is getting complex. Some plants grow well with one crop but not others. Mixed with successive crops and it takes some consideration. Part of the soil being shallow adds to the confusion. Least I'm starting early. Gives me time for research and revision. Some things I've read say that the right companion plants help maintain a higher humidity level. While other companion plants can offer shade to shorter plants. While beans and peas can increase Nitrogen retention in the soil, they don't get along with tomatoes well.

Right now I think a shower and a nap are in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment