Saturday, February 26, 2011

Translucent plastic

Well, daytime temps are still good in the forecast but now calls for even more nights in the 20's for the next few weeks. No hard freezes and temps have been dropping later and later. Not even 8 AM yet and outside temp is about 40. But supposed to get colder this week. Aarrgh!

Guess my next tactic will have to be covering at least some of the garden with translucent plastic. Not a bad choice, since it will not only retain heat but moisture. I'll try to decrease the work load involved by running what drip hoses are still good before laying the plastic down. Try to capitalize on it by planting more seeds first. The environment under the plastic will be a good greenhouse effect for seeds and small seedlings. The mulch helps by taking most weight off the seedlings and allowing more air to be retained. If I can keep the plastic off the bottom of the rows it will allow for better air circulation.

It's frustrating but try to turn it into as much of a positive as I can. Some people use plastic cups but I can't do that because the dog would just chew them up even if I could anchor them well enough with the mulch. May be a blessing in disguise, since I wouldn't even be thinking of this if temps were just a little higher. Which means I would wait longer to plant many things out.

Looked up how to start your own onion sets last night. Think I'll do that this year for next year. Let a few onions go to seed this year, harvest the seeds and then grow the sets late in the summer. Buy some more seeds to add to them.

Got to bed around 10 last night. Up around 7 this morning. Now I need to clean house a bit before daughter gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment