Friday, March 11, 2011

70's!

For the next few weeks, forecast calls for daytime temps in the 70's and most nights around 40. One night is currently forecasted at 29 degrees but that's almost two weeks out and likely to change. With these temps I should start seeing some movement in the garden. Can start transplanting out some of the things which are growing inside today.

Can't set tomatoes in the ground but can start hardening them off. Honestly, the reason I can't set them in the ground for a while is because I need to wait for more onions to show, so I can plant between them. Didn't mark them. They've already been through some cold temps and shown they'll survive cold but not frost. Some are looking anxious to be moved out. Several over 3 ft tall and others over 2 ft tall.

What I can do is start building supports for them today.

Going to try different methods of pruning on different plants this summer. See which results in more and/or better fruit production. Lots of information on the internet but much of it is inaccurate. Some sparked by old wive's tales, some written by writers for profit who have never grown a tomato, much by people in different environments. I was taking with someone the other day who told me their grandmother used to place two dead fish in a hole and plant tomatoes on top of them. Said they grew like crazy. Chemist in me was thinking of the nitrogen, sulphur, fish oil and calcium the fish would release over time. (and maybe mercury?) That would be great if you live where you catch the fish but at the cost of buying? Not so practical. Ammonia, vinegar, calcium spray and compost is more economical. And bacteriologically safer.

Speaking of which, the speed of the compost pit has accelerated greatly with warmer weather. I've started composting the rabbit droppings which I had been spreading directly. Safer and can be distributed more evenly where needed. May try adding a scant amount of diluted ammonia and see how well that speeds things up more. Though I am scaling back on that for reasons of ecology.

Don't know when they'll be done paving my street. They set drains yesterday with large grates. One is right in front of my house. No complaints there. They've dug the street down by several inches and graded it so the water will run off into the drains. Think next step will be actually paving but right now I'm living on a compacted dirt road. Ghetto neighbors who have driveways still keep parking on the street where their vehicles get right in the way. Another keeps bitching about the gravel he laid down 40 years ago (not kidding), which is no longer visible.

Think I'll take some chromium and creatine and start moving around.

No comments:

Post a Comment