Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jumping through hoops

Been jumping through hoops all day to get things done to start the contract tomorrow morning.

Thought everything was in order, when they told me the Air Force requires me to have a Varicella (chicken pox) titer! This test shows whether you have immune antibodies to that infection. I have been in the Army, been a nurse for over 16 years, worked with AIDS patients, infectious disease, neurosurgery, ICU and ER. I have been exposed to chicken pox, herpes (no smartass jokes) and shingles. Because I had chicken pox as a child, I have never been required to have a titer or immunization for this. In the end, the agency paid for it. After I told them I didn't care if they lost the contract because I could not afford the test. Besides, for what? To go nearly a month with no pay? They set an appintment and I went to a clinic a couple miles away for the test. Had to walk there and back. Least I got some exercise.

That was after going to the library to copy, print and fax the rest of the immunization records. Picked up a couple of books for the bus rides.

Glad it wasn't raining. Been nice. Temp is about 75 right now.

Saw more green this morning. Looked closely and saw the corn is starting to sprout. Yay! Was beginning to worry about that corn.

Pulled out the onions which have been growing inside. Turned out they're no more than sets because of crowding. Going to plant them out this evening. Want to use the potting soil to start the onion seeds for more sets. The ones from inside have been growing for a long time and been subjected to a lot of cold. They may flower and seed. That's okay, I'll save the seeds. Seems planting them may help deter insects from the corn and broccoli.

Saw my first hummingbird of the season today. Wasn't expecting them for a while because nothing is flowering yet. Guess I got the nectar with good timing. Mix it up tonight and set out the feeders. Be cool if daughter and I see some in the yard this weekend.

Went ahead and extended the pump I built. Long as I was walking that way, stopped at the hardware store to get a couple more connectors. They're really cheap.
Put it together and waiting for it to dry before testing it.

Because I'm orienting, I don't have to be at work until 8 in the morning. Means I don't have to wake up as early as I will be waking up for the next few months. Glad to ease into it a little bit slower. All in all, both happy and anxious about this.

Gotta go get some gas for the generator.

No comments:

Post a Comment